Stray animals – what to do

Stray animals are the responsibility of the local government. If you find a healthy and uninjured stray please contact your local government.

If you find an injured or very sick animal, please contact our inspectors on 1300 CRUELTY (1300 278 358).

If an animal is in immediate danger, please also contact our inspectors on 1300 CRUELTY (1300 278 358).






Animal Trapping

RSPCA WA recommends that animal trapping only be carried out by trained operators. However, under the Cat Act 2011, some councils in WA offer cat traps on loan or for hire to residents. If you live in a council that offers traps and are considering using one, it is important that you understand the risks to the target and non-target animals including cats and wildlife. By choosing to use that trap you have a responsibility to ensure the welfare of trapped animals including the target animal and any other types of animal you may accidentally trap.

Though we would still prefer that you do not go ahead and trap animals without prior training, RSPCA WA and the Department of Parks and Wildlife have put together these brief Animal Trapping Recommendations for those who are loaning or hiring traps from their local council. 

↑ Back to top