- Education >
- Become a Volunteer Speaker
Community Outreach Volunteer Speakers
RSPCA WA works directly with young people and community groups in Perth, delivering presentations with the aim of educating the public about animal welfare and responsible pet ownership. We have a dedicated team of volunteer speakers who deliver these presentations within their local areas and we’re currently recruiting more speakers to join our team.
If you’d like to become a volunteer speaker, the role is very flexible and provides a great opportunity to practice and enhance your public speaking skills, while sharing the story of the world’s oldest animal charity.
Purpose of the role
By working with young people and others in our community, RSPCA WA aims to:
- Promote responsible pet ownership
- Promote empathy and the appropriate treatment of all animals, based on their welfare needs
- Raise awareness amongst young people of safety around animals with an emphasis on cats and dogs
- Reduce the number of unwanted and abandoned cats and dogs in communities
- Reduce anti-social behaviour involving animals
Raise awareness of appropriate RSPCA campaigns
- Help deliver the key messages of RSPCA WA
- Approach schools and youth groups in your local community to arrange talks
Deliver talks to young people and other community groups
- Experience of, and confidence in communicating with groups of people
- Empathy towards animals and people
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Confidence in approaching schools, promoting the Speaker Scheme and resources
- Good basic computer skills and the ability to use PowerPoint
Willingness to obtain a Police clearance, as well as a Working with Children check
Training & Support:
You will be provided with:
- An induction on the work of RSPCA WA
- A kit including a USB containing all presentations, worksheets, leaflets and giveaway items
- Ongoing support from the Community Outreach Coordinator and other volunteer speakers
A uniform shirt and name badge
This role is home based with travel involved around the Perth metropolitan area so you can choose how far you’re willing to travel. It will also involve training and visits to our Animal Care Centre in Malaga.
Due to the nature of the role:
- The majority of our talks are delivered in school hours which is generally between 9:00am and 3:00pm
You must be over 18 years old with a vehicle and a valid driver’s licence.