Keep your pets safe during storms
The stormy weather and thunder we're currently receiving around WA can be very distressing for our loving pets. Amongst other things, dogs have been known to jump over or dig under fences that would normally contain them, to escape loud noises.
Here are our top tips to help keep your pets safe:
- To prevent your pet from running away, keep them safe and calm in doors.
- Let your dog be with you (or someone responsible) and try to be calm and normal.
- Avoid fussing over your pet excessively but try to engage them in normal activities such as playing.
- Reward your dog for their calm behaviour.
- Close the blinds/curtains, create a safe, comfortable hiding place—put on some music/TV to help mask the noise outside, and distract your dog with games and food.
- Dogs who panic can choke themselves on a collar or lead, so never tether your dog during these times and never use a choke chain to restrain your dog.
- Make sure your pet is micro-chipped and wearing an ID tag, and that your contact details are up to date on the microchip register, in case they accidentally escape.