Easter treats can kill!

Easter treats can kill!

Chocolate is not just bad for a dog’s health, it can also be deadly.

RSPCA WA CEO David van Ooran said pets are considered part of the family and it can be quite normal to share your food with them.

“We want everyone to enjoy the Easter break and to think carefully before feeding your pets food designed for humans - especially chocolate!” says Mr van Ooran.

“The cocoa in chocolate contains theobromine which can be toxic to dogs and other pets.

“The size of your pet, type of chocolate and how much they ingest will determine how sick they could become.

“And if an Easter egg hunt is part of your celebrations make sure all the eggs are collected and not left out for the pets to find or put out too early so the pets find them first!

“Also beware of the wrapping of the eggs as that can cause blockages of the intestines.

“If there is any possibility your dog has ingested chocolate (even a small amount) you should contact your local veterinarian for advice. Over Easter there are a number of 24 hour emergency veterinary services that will be open if needed.

“So, even if you are tempted please, don’t feed your dog chocolate it is not a treat for them, they’d much prefer a doggie treat,” Mr van Ooran said.

Background info

The concentration of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate. For example, cocoa powder, baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain higher levels of theobromine compared to milk chocolate. With the toxicity dose-related, meaning the effect of chocolate ingestion depends on size of dog, and type and amount of chocolate eaten.

The symptoms of theobromine ingestion may include restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased drinking and increased urination, increased heartrate, muscle tremors, seizures and possible death.

 

Categories