SMALL CHANGE SUPPORTS BIG CHANGE ON HAPPY TAILS DAY
- On Friday 6 October, approximately 100 RSPCA WA volunteers will be in the city and at train stations around Perth collecting donations for RSPCA WA’s annual street appeal, Happy Tails Day.
- We’ll be using new Tap’n’Pat wireless donation technology for the first time this year – meaning people who don’t carry a lot of change can still donate quickly and easily using their ATM or credit cards. The Tap‘n’Pat system works by tapping your card on the terminal to donate, and patting a dog while your donation processes. Of course, donation tins will also be available for any loose change hiding in the bottom of bags and pockets.
- Volunteers will be out in force between 7am and 4:30pm, and many will be accompanied by their pet dogs to encourage passers-by to spare some change in return for doggy cuddles.
- A Happy Tails Day tent will be set up in Murray Street Mall in Perth city from 7am – 2pm, where there will be special appearances throughout the day from RSPCA WA shelter dogs. Both cash and Tap‘n’Pat donations can be made at this location.
- This year, RSPCA WA hopes to raise $25,000 which will go towards caring for almost 2000 animals that come into our care annually.
Comments from RSPCA WA Executive Manager, Maree Daniels:
“While RSPCA WA has been rescuing animals for 125 years, we are still a charity and we rely on donations and community support to generate more than 90% of our operating costs. Happy Tails Day is the only day of the year where we can get out onto the streets of Perth to collect donations from the public, so we’re asking people to dig deep to help make the day really count for animal welfare in WA.
“We know that street appeals have changed over the years, and as we move towards becoming a cashless society, we recognise that fewer people carry cash. That’s why this year we’re introducing a new Tap‘n’Pat system, so even those without coins jingling in their pockets can still donate to keep tails wagging.
“The generosity we see from the public on Happy Tails Day demonstrates just how much the Perth community cares about animal welfare, and thanks to our wonderful army of volunteers, the day is always a great success – raising important funds for animals in desperate need of help.
“A small donation on Happy Tails Day can help make a big change to the lives of thousands of animals across Western Australia, so we’re asking people to dig deep and give what they can.”