RSPCA WA VOLUNTEERS RECOGNISED FOR LONG SERVICE
- 29 RSPCA WA volunteers were recognised for their length of service to the organisation at a function hosted by RSPCA WA Patron-in-Chief, Her Excellency the Honourable Kerry Sanderson AC, Governor of Western Australia, at Government House on Wednesday 8 November 2017.
- The 29 volunteers recognised for their benevolence of 5+ years’ service have 371 years of service combined, with roles spanning the following areas:
- Op shops (14 volunteers)
- Animal enrichment (7)
- RSPCA WA Board (4)
- Auxiliaries (3)
- Events (1)
- 8 of the volunteers have 5+ years’ service at RSPCA WA, while 21 volunteers have 10+ years’ service, including President Lynne Bradshaw (20 years’ service) and Vice-President Ian Cowie PSM (17 years’ service).
- The longest serving volunteer is Megan Fletcher, a volunteer of 35 years at RSPCA WA’s op shops.
- The special event was organised in joint celebration of 2017 being the 125th anniversary of the RSPCA in Western Australia.
- A new State Awards Program, due to commence in 2018, was formally announced by the RSPCA WA President at the function. The awards will recognise outstanding efforts of individuals in the community who have gone ‘above and beyond’ to help and protect animals, including a ‘Volunteer of the Year’ award.
RSPCA WA is a charity and, as such, relies heavily on the support of volunteers across the organisation. Without volunteers to help, RSPCA WA would not be able to meet all of the needs that are required to uphold the organisation’s animal protection work.
Volunteers assist in a very wide and varied capacity, including dog walking, event support, office and administrative activities, cat enrichment, retail assistance in op shops and regional branches, foster carers, legal support and Board Members.
In 2016/17, over 1,500 volunteers gave their time to RSPCA WA to help animals in need. This included 262 foster carers, 140 regional branch volunteers and 1,140 volunteers in other roles across the organisation.
Comments attributed to David van Ooran, CEO RSPCA WA:
“I’m thrilled that we’ve been able to recognise the outstanding efforts of our longest-serving volunteers in the presence of the organisation’s Patron-in-Chief and in such fitting surroundings at Government House.
Our volunteers give so much of their time, skills and knowledge to strengthen our organisation and the important work that we do, so it’s an honour to show them just how grateful we are for their contribution and commitment by inviting them to a special function in recognition of all their hard work.”
Comments attributed to Her Excellency the Honourable Kerry Sanderson AC:
“As Patron-in-Chief of RSPCA WA I thank all of its long-standing volunteers for their important and ongoing dedication to the welfare of animals in Western Australia. As a charity RSPCA WA relies heavily on the support of its volunteers and their valuable assistance and tireless commitment contributes so much to its success.
I congratulate RSPCA WA and its staff, Board Members and volunteers on their special anniversary this year, which marks 125 years of service to animals in Western Australia.”
RSPCA WA Media | firstname.lastname@example.org | 0437 069 853